Copa de Getariako Txakolina

Getariako Txakolina 2021 Harvest

This year, due to the pandemic situation, we decided not to hold the traditional harvest presentation event in Getaria, coinciding with San Antón’s day, 17 January. But we still have plenty of reasons to celebrate. So let’s toast the closure of a year with very good marketing data and a new Getariako Txakolina harvest of excellent quality. 

The Getariako Txakolina 2021 harvest produced a typical Txakoli of our region, averaging 11º and with notable and well-balanced acidity. 3,974,000 kilos of healthy, good quality grapes have been harvested, with the harvest beginning in the second fortnight of September. 

The 2021 harvest txakoli is already on the market. Below, we provide some information regarding DO Getariako Txakolina:

  • Geographical area: Gipuzkoa
  • Hectares of registered vineyard: 443 ha.
  • 36 registered wineries.
  • There are two new wineries this year: Murgialdai in Oñati, and Aitaren in Zestoa.

Harvest: 3,974,000 kilos

  • 2,461,000 litres of white txakoli.
  • 230,600 litres of rosé txakoli.
  • 6,540 litres of red txakoli.

As for varieties, a minimum of 80% of the production of each winery must be Hondarrabi Zuri and Hondarrabi Beltza, with the remaining 20% being the varieties included in the Regulations, such as Petit Courbu (Hondarrabi Zuri zerratia), Gros Manseng, Chardonnay and Riesling. 

We have always maintained that Hondarrabi, our native variety, provides the opportunity to produce different types of txakoli. Each winery keeps a watch over the state of its vines and decides the moment of harvest in accordance with the type of txakoli they want to produce, always in compliance with the Regulations.  

We ended the year 2021 with some good marketing data, reaching the 2019 figures, so we would like to thank all consumers for their confidence in Getaria Txakoli, such a typical local product.

Exports rose by 30%, passing the 423,200 litres exported in the 2019-2020 campaign and reaching 574,125 litres in the 2020-2021 campaign.  This is the result of the wineries’ great efforts to open new markets. USA remains the main country of destination with 65% of the total, followed by France with 6.5%, United Kingdom and Norway with 5.2% and Sweden and Japan with approximately 4%.

Rácimo de uvas Ondarrabi Zuri

Regulatory Board of the Designation of Origin of GETARIAKO TXAKOLIN

Parque Aldamar, 4 bajo.
20808 Getaria, Gipuzkoa. (País Vasco)
Tel.: 943 14 03 83
Fax: 943 89 60 30